February 13, 2013

Children's Party


HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

When I was little girl, five or six maybe, we had to go to children's parties.  This was before the last war.
These we dreaded - mostly because there was usually a conjuror - experts we distrusted.
      "Would the little girl in the pink dress in the front row please come up here and help me," they'd say with a smile that made it quite clear that one was going to be a fool of. It happened too often.



Once, at one of these affairs, dresses in my frilly dress, I placed myself firmly in the fifth row and refused to be moved.  I sat with head bowed throughout the entertainment, praying to the Good Lord that the conjuror wouldn't ask me to help him.
      He didn't.
That childish experience gave me confidence in the power of prayer, which I've believed in ever since.

Book : When We Were Young, David & Chalres Inc.  London.  1987.


No comments:

Post a Comment