February 16, 2013

Goodbye Budgie


By ERNIE WISE
         I remember as a little boy of nine years of age appearing in the working men’s clubs in Leeds and Bradford.  I was doing  a double act with my father called Carson and Kid.

         At one particular club I recall, I danced on the billiard table and during the course of the evening the organisers had a raffle and the prize was a budgerigar in a cage, with I would have loved to have taken home with me because I have always loved animals.  Needless to say, I didn’t win the budgerigar, but seeing my disappointment I was promised one for the following year when I returned to the club.


          So all the next year I looked forward, with great anticipation, to my budgerigar in a cage.  The great day arrived.  I went back to the club and danced on the billiard table.  They didn’t forget and I was duly presented with a budgerigar.  I was overjoyed.  I took it home that night and hung it in my bedroom.
         The following morning I woke up and there was my bird.  However, as I don’t like to see birds in cages, I released the budgerigar and let it fly about my bedroom.  I then went to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
         My mother meanwhile came into my bedroom to make the bed.  She opened the window to let some fresh air into the room...
         Goodbye budgie.

Book:  When We Were Young.  David & Charles Inc, London.  1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment